Thursday, February 9, 2012

how some things never change

Yesterday evening I was at my parents' house and my mother insisted on opening the box of old home movies and reliving my childhood.  I was actually pretty excited, being that I hadn't seen my baby self in quite a long time and I was very eager to see video of family members that are no longer with us.  How I miss their faces.  But, what really surprised me while watching these videos is how my brother and my personalities were seemingly carved out at such a ripe age.  In the video we watched, I was two and he was three and a half but it was almost like we were watching ourselves now.  Not in the literal sense, of course.  But it was the little things that were so funny and exactly the same about each of us.  
I was constantly tugging at my hear or nose because I was tired, and I do the same now when I am in need of sleep.  In fact, when I was a child and I didn't get 8-9 hours of sleep I was as good as done.  Same now.  In the videos my brother was the clear leader, and I just mimicked everything he did.  In one scene from Halloween 1991 he was Captain Hook and he raised his hook into the air, and I did the same with my fist even though I was a Persian Princess.  I am constantly trying to give my brother love and kisses, and he is constantly trying to get me in trouble for making a mess or push my love away.  NOTHING about that has changed.  I wonder, is this is similar to other siblings and families?  Watching these videos, I wonder if our personalities never really change.  Interests come and go, and habits are picked up a long the way, but are our personalities essentially carved out from adolescence?  We still have a couple dozen VHS to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment